Sunday, April 21, 2013

Employed for 3 months

Assalamualaikum and bonjour.
It's been a while. Did you miss me? NOT. Okay. I wanted to post this for such a long time but didn't really get the chance to. So here I am.

    I have left school for about 4 months now. While waiting for my SPM results, I didn't chose to become a couch potato instead I worked for 3 months. Now the common question people asked me, "Where?  What kind of job? Since when? until when?". Okay. So last december, on the middle of december I think, I went on a job hunt at KLCC accompanied by a friend of mine. First I went to Parkson KLCC, one of Malaysia's leading department stores. I went straight to their customer service counter as soon as I entered the department store. I took a number and sat and waited on the couch there. There wasn't many people there so in no time it was my turn. So I went to the counter and asked, "is there any vacancy here?" . Then the staff asked me how old am I. I told her I was a school leaver. She straight away gave me a job application form for me to fill up. I took about 10 minutes to fill up the form. Then I'm done. The staff said she will give this to the Human Resource department and told me to wait for a call.
  After my first job application, I actually planned to go to a few more stores such as Isetan and Harrods. But I end up just applying for one job. haha. So much for a job hunt.

 3 days later, I received a call from an unknown number. It was an office number. I hesitated to pick up but then it was actually Parkson who called me. They told me to come for a job interview that weekend and told me to bring my PMR and SPM trials result. I was reaaally excited to receive a phone call from my future employer. It was my first time ever experiencing this kind of joy of being called for a job interview. haha.
  That weekend, I went to Parkson for the interview. Waited for about half an hour, I noticed there was my schoolmate who was waiting to be called for the interview as well.
Finally it was my turn to be interviewed.  One of the staff showed me the way to the office. I was quite nervous at that time as it was my first ever job interview. I walked slowly towards the HR's table and sat on the chair. It was a malay lady in her mid 20's. She looked kind of young. So first thing she told me to introduced myself in english. I did as she told me to. After that, she said there were 2 vacancies each from the Customer Service's department and Cash Management department. I chose the Cash Management department. That means I'll be working as a cashier. She then said she will hire me and explained to me about the job details and etc.
   A few weeks after that which fell on the 3rd of January. I went to work with a white formal shirt and black slacks. My mom sent me to work on my first day. She dropped me off at KLCC's main entrance. I have no idea where was I suppose to go. I just followed the people who were wearing black clothes that might be Parkson's staff. Luckily I followed the right person to the staff entrance. I was quite scared seeing people whom I've never met at all. I saw there was a security table at staff entrance. I didn't know where to go. And then one of the staff told me that I should just wait in front of the store's entrance until it opened. So I waited and straightly went in. I went to the customer service counter and the staff directed me to the office. The same lady in the HR dept again. She asked me to sign a 3 months contract and told me to read all the long list of terms and condition. After done with all signatures, she gave me the staff's uniform. I was overwhelmed. She told me to go to the changing room outside and change to the uniform to see if it fits. Luckily it did.
  Then, I finally get to start working after the lunch break. I was directed to go to the Household department's cahier counter to work as a packer. I saw unfamiliar faces everywhere. I smiled at the cahiers there and told them I was new and asked what did I have to do as a 'packer'? I was taught how to pack customer's item neatly in a paper and a plastic bag. When the clock striked 6 I got off work.
 So there goes my first day at work.

  After a week of employment, and being trained how to be a cashier, I finally get to open a counter. I wasn't really ready though to be a real cashier. Luckily there was this old cashier, who helped me out.
   I enjoyed my work actually. It was quite fun. I met new friends whose my age. Actually most of the cahiers there were school leavers too just like me. So I started to become comfortable working there as the Supervisors and Executives there were also nice and friendly. They didn't scold me for making mistakes during my first 3 weeks working there.
  There was a time when me and my collegues went for a movie right after work. I had a great time with my collegues. They were quite fun people to hang out with.

The night when we finished watching "Hansel and Gretel" and most of the shops were closed.

                                        I was high after the movie and loads of popcorn.

  My expenses for going to work wasn't that much too. I took the LRT to work everyday and ate lunch at the staff's canteen. The staff's canteen was quite small but the food there was delicious and cheap. I had white rice with a few Malay cooking style side dishes which only cost about rm 3 to 4. Well there was a time when I wanted to eat at the foodcourt outside. I did eat at the outside foodcourts but very seldomly.

My salary wasn't that bad too. My basic was rm1100 and they gave me a comission too. However, they did deduct a few percent from my salary for EPF and Socso which was good actually for my future.

                                            oh this was me at gents department.

                                          My ex colleague named Asfa went for a visit.

        On the 2nd of April was my last day of employment. I was quite relunctant to leave my job and the other colleagues behind. But  I had too. I could actually extend my contract but I decided to stop as most of the colleagues my age had stopped working already. But that was not the main reason I stopped. The main reason was I haven't took my driving license and I needed to prepare myself for University and College interviews which will be taken place in the middle of April. On my last day of work, I managed to say my goodbyes to the other staffs. They were quite upset to see me leaving.  I told them not to worry as I will visit the store in the near future.

So that was my employment story. Appologised for the long entry. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment